Brainstorming

Brainstorming
(all images featured for non profit, educational purposes)

Thursday 16 May 2013

Playscape - Responses 1

After discussion, we decided to keep the Playscape zine in the teal and orange colours, and that we would risograph the work for both zines. 

I completely agree this was the right choice for the group, since the risograph can offer a unique outlook for the publication, and also is rather cost effective.  

The playscape Zine deals with more physical, literal elements to the experiences. I've decided to pick a few to focus on: 

- My interaction with the nature
- The flightpath of the planes, and the planes as "objects" 
- the bricks I found scattered around some of the plant life 
- The "Horses" sign, i randomly found near an old path (items no longer in use)


Development: 

Using a range of photographs taken (as seen on my report into the trip on the previous posts), I began to mash together photographs, to make a "pin up" of digitally collaged scenes, almost like a summary, of sorts. The pictures below were a vital experiment into forming an image that I wanted to use in the zine. 





In descending order from the first image: 

- The lake, representing an enlarged plane shot, showing how the thick, manmade dark object intruded into my wander, and dominated the immediate moment. 

- A mixture of barks, textures and branches, showing my personal interacting with the trip. 

- The collapsed old tree next to a sign, shows how the area is constantly changing, and how my trip moved from one event to another. 

- A mix of trees with a protruding brick. The overall point of this was pun towards the man made objects in the area being "grown over". 

When I produce these, I want to think of my planning not just a sketchbook body of work, but the trip itself to be a "plan", and these particular photo collages to play a big part in this also. 

I also feel that over complicating the image in terms of accurate drawing shouldn't be done, since a more ambiguous approach, (like our zine rules state) would be more beneficial. 

Sketches: 




I decided to make a few shorthand ink sketches, to get a rough idea of the general "feel" to the image. 

the balance of line and texture in the image is something I want to particularly "rebel" with in terms of that image really shows, and what is really representing. 






The final sketches for my portfolio, and for further zine development are finally done. These represent the playscape mashup and my personal idea / response in a way that isn't too ambiguous but not too literal, which I believe is a strongpoint. 

I'm eager to see how the digital phase goes. Will it effect the work too much?

No comments :

Post a Comment