Brainstorming

Brainstorming
(all images featured for non profit, educational purposes)

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Ampersand Zine - The Elusive Symbol

I honestly didn't have a bloody clue what Ampersand even meant or was before I spoke to Chloe, (editor of the zine) early on in the project. 

After we spoke, she basically explained what it was, and gave me a link to her blog ( Click Here ) and detailed down a brief. The work simply had to be A5 in size, and use the symbol "&" somewhere in the work. 


(Used from here for educational non profit purposes!) 



As seen above, the ampersand takes many forms, and this particular zine seems to give a more graphical outlook towards what the outcome should be, which is why I decided to embark onto side job. I thought I could maybe keep the same "Rough and Rebellious" aesthetic going, while also using minimal illustration, and focusing on other themes such as photography and type. Here is an example below of a quick mess around I did as an idea for the work: 


The photograph behind was a scrap idea for something else, which just looked nice as a space filler, however I'm starting to like it in general. 

Most of the Ampersand's history is becoming more unknown to the public, who still use it regularly today, and not really knowing about it's latin origin.  

It's almost like the truth behind the symbol is dying out. (Possible theme for the image perhaps?) 

No comments :

Post a Comment